Friday, February 29, 2008

2/23/2008

The weather up on the Mesa's on the Hopi reservation is not very nice and everything here is covered with a serious layer of mud. Makes for some really messy times. We have been enjoying more fellowship with the Toews family and have even been blessed with our first traditional Hopi meal, a soup, some bread and some blue corn tortilla's that are very thin. The soup is something that they would typically make for their "bean dance" ceremony (the women that made it would not be participating as she has put these things behind her) and consisted of bean sprouts, hominy and some other vegetables. All of it was very good and it was a real blessing to receive all this provision.

We spent the day in fellowship, learning more about the Hopi people and getting to know some of the people on the reservation. Truly a blessing.

I went bouldering with Nathan (first real attempt in 13 years) and found that the weight and the age really have affected me.... : ) Also made the big mistake of taking my glasses off and leaving them to lay on a rock where we had our gear. Needless to say, they got broken. Really broken. Glad that I can see for the most part without them as there is not a glasses store anywhere near by (about 100 miles to the nearest shopping).

We spent the evening with a family praying through the house and asking God to provide His protection for this family as they had been feeling the attacks of the enemy. The Hopi people are probably the most spiritual of the native americans and the time of the bean festival which is happening right now is a strong time of spiritual activity. I had already prayed through our trailer on the first night that we were there as we were warned that the activity would be high. I'm not sure that I can describe their festivals, beliefs, and spiritism in writing and I'm not sure how much of it I am at liberty to discuss on the internet so, I will have to keep the information pretty vague, however, I can say that the battle is raging here and the souls of men are the prize. Pray that the Lamb that was Slain would truly receive the reward of His suffering from the Hopi people.

No comments: