Friday, April 17, 2009

Overcoming Sin

I am posting this quote from Zac Poonen from a message that he preached a while back titled “Faith When We Have Failed” (Look under Sermons, Zac Poonen). I appreciate the quote and want to make sure that the context is clear. He is not, in any way, allowing for sin in the statement but rather showing that God is doing a work of bringing people to the end of themselves, where they will learn to walk in the power of the Holy Spirit and not be proud walking in their own strength. It is when we are in total humility that we can then receive the true power of the Holy Spirit and it is there that grace can be received.

James 4:6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.

1 Peter 5:5 Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.

6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:

7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

Quote as follows;

“I don’t think that Peter ever forgot that he denied the Lord three times. And when God breaks a man that’s what He does. And that’s when such a person gets victory over sin, he can never be proud of it, number one, and he can never despise another person who doesn’t have victory. I know in my own pursuit of victory the Lord had to take me through failure, failure, failure; bring me to rock bottom. And I never knew the reason for that. I thought all hope was gone at one point in my life. But now I see that God had to take me there, so that, when he did give me victory, when he did keep me from falling, I could never be proud of it. I could never think that I did this. I could never think that it was through some effort of mine that I could overcome depression and “rejoice in the Lord always”. That it was in some spirituality of my own that I overcame bad moods, or anger… No. He keeps me from falling. I could never think that it was me. Even the ministry of the word; I know that if the grace of God departs from me, my tongue will be dumb, I will fall into the most horrible sins the next moment, no matter how many years I have overcome. See that recognition comes because God has allowed me to fail so many times in the years that I was seeking for victory. So, dear brothers and sisters, if you’re failing, don’t get discouraged. Let God do a thorough work. He’s trying to bring you down to 0. It took 20 years with Jacob. It took 40 years with Moses. It doesn’t have to take so long. It can be a very quick work as it was with Peter and Paul. But we can’t dictate that period because it is different with different people. “

Hope you find this to be an encouragement.

David

No comments: