Sunday, September 7, 2008

Living water?

I have thought about this a good bit lately as this is a point that Jesus was sure to make on more than one occasion that there is living water available to us as His followers, that this living water will be available in bountiful supply and that it should be a fountain or a flow coming from within.

John 4:14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

John 7:38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

In thinking about this the Lord pointed me to another point in Scripture, 1 John 2:6;

1 John 2:6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

There is a key word in this verse and I believe more and more that this is the foundation of understanding 1 John, and that is the theme of abiding. The same holds true in the area of living water, as it has to come from a source and that source can only be found in the vine.

I think too often we explain away Scripture, say that is for the elite few, or that this is something that was only available for a certain time however, I hope that you would all agree with me that this is false. These are facts that Jesus was stating to all that would call on His name and follow Him.

I was reading this devotional from Oswald Chambers this morning and it really blessed as it touches on some things that the Lord has placed dearly in my heart. Please read as you see fit. http://www.myutmost.org/09/0907.html The important point that he makes is that this flow should be there and if not find out why. He also makes the point however that we may not always see it but "that it has started from the obscure, the unknown, the ignored, but the steadfastly true to Jesus Christ".

Let us covet to find ourselves in that place that when our Lord comes by He doesn't find a tree empty of fruit that should be laden with figs. Remember, He stated that if we are to abide in Him that we would bring forth much fruit and that without Him we could do nothing.

I ask the same question that brother Chambers asked, is there something hindering that today? Let us check the flow and see what that may be. More on this later.....

No comments: