Saturday, August 9, 2008

Am I a soldier of the cross?

I stumbled across a tract I have from C.T. Studd called "Chocolate Soldiers" - http://www.wholesomewords.org/missions/msctserm.html - and decided to read it again yesterday. This tract is truly a blessing and should be read by all who name the name of Jesus Christ and we should consider whether we truly are laying our lives down and living for Him completely. It is a bit of a lengthy read but well worth it. I am including the last part for those who don't want to take the time and read the whole thing (again, please take the time).

From the tract:

"You sought in time past for Jesus to be king over you. NOW THEN DO IT! (Compare 1 Chronicles 12:8, 33, 38, and 2 Samuel 3:17-18). Shall we not reply, "We are Yours, Jesus, and on Your side. May God deal with me, be it ever so severely, if I do not do what the Father promised You on oath, and transfer the kingdom from the house of Satan and establish Your throne over all the world." (Compare 1 Chronicles 12:18, and 2 Samuel 3:9-10).

Come then, let us restore the 'lost chord' of Christianity - HEROISM - to the world, and the crown of the world to Christ. Christ Himself asks you, "Will you be a malingerer or a militant?"
To your knees, man! And to your Bible! Decide at once! Don't hedge! Time flies! Cease your insults to God. Quit consulting flesh and blood. Stop your lame lying and cowardly excuses.
Enlist! Here are your papers and oath of allegiance. Scratch out one side and sign the other in the presence of God and the recording angel. Mark God's endorsements underneath.

HENCEFORTH...
For me
To live is ChristTo die is gain
I'll be a militant or
A man of God
A gambler for Christ
A Hero

For me
Chocolate my name
Tepidity my temperature
A malingerer, I
A child of men
A self-excuser
A humbug

God's promises are sure in either case:

"I am with you always."
- or -
"I will spit you out of my mouth."
In the famous words of Isaac Watts;
Am I a soldier of the cross,
A follower of the Lamb,
And shall I fear to own His cause,
Or blush to speak His Name?
Must I be carried to the skies
On flowery beds of ease,
While others fought to win the prize,
And sailed through bloody seas?
Are there no foes for me to face?
Must I not stem the flood?
Is this vile world a friend to grace,
To help me on to God?
Sure I must fight if I would reign;
Increase my courage, Lord.
I'll bear the toil, endure the pain,
Supported by Thy Word.
Thy saints in all this glorious war
Shall conquer, though they die;
They see the triumph from afar,
By faith's discerning eye
When that illustrious day shall rise,
And all Thy armies shine
In robes of victory through skies,
The glory shall be Thine.
David

No comments: