Sunday, July 20, 2008

Walking

Walking seems like the very basic thing for a child to learn to do in order to be able to continue on in growth. As parents we are always so excited to see our child take their first steps. Being a father of a special needs child, I remember clearly the great excitement that came when my child started walking. Doors open for them, a new world is now available. It truly is a wonderful thing.

How much more in the realm of our Spiritual life? I was reading this devotional from Oswald Chambers http://www.myutmost.org/07/0720.html and I really appreciate his consideration on this. The interesting thing that he brings forth is that it is not just in the ability to walk but it is in the contentment of walking where we are strong and where we are found in a place where we can be directed. There is a walking with Christ that we need to learn.

...And, it is in that area, walking, that I see the Lord doing today more than anything, in my own life and in the life of so many others. There is such a work to return to the very foundational things of this life in Christ, of returning to Him and Him alone for life, and as an outflow of this there is a learning to walk. Day by day, minute by minute, hour by hour. To walk with the living head, individually and hopefully at some point corporately. He is alive! He is wanting to walk this life out with us. He does desire to be intimate with us and commune with us. This is real, not just words. I remember when I used to read books by Andrew Murray, Watchman Nee and others and I would read of this reality that they would speak of and think to myself, "is this reality really possible". Hey, just being honest here. Tired of pretending. However, I can say that as the Lord has brought me back to the foundation of what this life of being a Christian is, He has shown me that this is indeed real. I don't claim in this statement to have attained fully but I speak as one who has tasted more and desires to continue to go deeper in this relationship. This is where life is. This is where Jesus will be glorified and this is where Jesus will build his church.

If you are not experiencing these things, then stop where you are and get honest with God. Go back to the foundation. This life should be real with a real Saviour. Remember, as one dear brother wrote in a song about John 14:6, "if You (Jesus) are the truth, then without you I'm lied to". Don't accept anything less than the real Truth, the real Jesus!

May God bless you this day!

David

No comments: